Sunday, November 2, 2008

Smiles

I remember when I was 10 years old I would smile when I wanted to and not smile when someone wanted me to. Karma gets back at you when your son turns 10. Marco is a great kid but all the pictures we have of him in roughly the last year are stone faced. So I took the opportunity to take some pictures when he wasn't looking. He's got a great smile and here it is.

One of my goals is to learn something totatlly new with Marco. I have some ideas but they have to wait until the Spring thaw. Those ideas are hobbie type things we can learn together and continue to do them. Recently as you know the three of us traveled to Normandy to tour the sites of the D Day invasion. For 3 full days we talked D Day. If we knew the answers to Marco's questions we would answer. If we didn't we would try to find out. Walking through museum after museum answered a number of questions. It also created a great deal more. The point is for 3 days we were totally engaged in the one topic. From learning about the role of the Canadians to the building of the Atlantic wall. We were emmersed in WWII.
Saturday Mary, Marco and one of his buddies went to the movies. On the way to the cinima (it's 25 minutes from home) Marco talked. That's not rare for him but his topic surprised us. He told his freind Patrick all about D Day. Yes the details weren't exactly right but he was animated and excited telling the story. Mary and I couldn't help but smile about it.
One thing I highly suggest to everyone is watch the movie "The Longest Day". The three of us watched it back in May. Mary and Marco watched it again just before our trip. It's a great movie to watch and it is even better to watch it then go to the actual place.

Off to Peoria Illinois. I guess one of the cool things is I'll be in the US on election day. Tomorrow we elect a new President. Finally!

It's a good life...
Dave

No comments: