Friday, February 20, 2009

Win The Day!

Stress makes us stupidCoach Gordo Byrn

I have to admit that recently I’ve been struggling. Struggling to get excited about the day ahead and struggling to take that first step out the door and again that first step in the door. I could go into all the detail but I’m not here for you to feel sorry for. I’m certainly done feeling sorry for myself so there is no point to drag you into it. It’s taken me longer to fully recognize it this time (read the quote above) and to me that mean’s drastic action. I’m really good at looking long term. I know what I want in 5 years but I am terrible at knowing what I want today. So it’s with this that I’ve laid out my plan to Win the Day. I’m going to ask you the reader to call me on it if you see me not winning. If you think my actions or attitude don’t match up with the below statements call me on it!

Winning the Day


1.Sleep – I know that my day is driven by my night. When I have good quality (not quantity) sleep I am happier.

2.Laugh Out Loud – We can’t be serious all the time.

3.Open honest fun with Marco – Sometimes I’m just being grumpy old Dad too much. Marco and I know how to have fun and he relies on me to do this daily.

4.Passionate interaction with Mary – She’s the love of my life and a huge part of who I am as a person. I feed off her love.

5.Be inspired – I’m at my best when I’m being inspired. Books, music Mary and Marco and ordinary people inspire me.

6.Execute the Workouts – Sometimes type “A” triathletes obsess about the next workout or the last workout just a bit too much. I signed on with a coaching platform to so I wouldn’t have to think about it. So now it’s time to JFT.

7.Play my Guitar or take time to really listen to music – The IPod while running doesn’t count.

8.Drive with Full Engagement at Work – The first part of this is Drive. I’m much better when I’m Driving and not waiting to be driven. The next part is Full Engagement. A great book The Power of Full Engagement taught me that deep focused attention combined with small breaks is the way to execute.

I know you ask because I do, how can you change your sleep or how can you get inspired every day. I don’t think this is cut and dried approach. I can’t check these off every night and call the day a victory or a loss. I think these are the things to work toward every day. If I can say at the end of the day “I can put my name to that” it means that I’ve driven towards these 8 things. I can honestly say that I haven’t put my name to many days in the last 10 months.

It’s a good life…
Dave

No comments: