Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Risk Management

I recently received an email with a marketing plan. The first bullet point of the plan said we will do this to manage the risk. I got rather upset with managing the risk. I wanted to know what risk we were managing. So I looked up Risk Management on google and I got this:

"In businesses, risk management entails organized activity to manage uncertainty and threats and involves people following procedures and using tools in order to ensure conformance with risk-management policies"

Just to note the other isntances of Risk Management were in things like war, space exploration, building infrastructure, things where life was at risk. The business risk management says I'm going to manage uncertainty. I just want to go on record that unless life is the question risk management should not be in question. Risk Management in a marketing proposal says I don't know (Uncertainty) or I'm afraid. It's our job in Marketing to know. We don't manage risk we manage opportunity. Opportunity says so much more. Please for the sake of my sanity don't use Risk Management at the start of a marketing proposal.

It's a good life....
Dave

No comments: