Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Top 10 from 2009 take #1

Sunset in the Great Central Valley, California

I was watching 60 minutes tonight. Probably the first time in 3 years I've actually watched it. All I can say is I'm darn lucky I have a job. When you work in my industry you don't notice as much just how bad it is out there in the job market. Darn lucky I am.

I thought I'd spend a bit of time this week reflecting on the last year. I looked through all the posts I made on this blog and am listing what I think are the most important things I had to say. Today I look at the first 6 months of 2009 and give you my top 5 things:

1. Win the Day - I think sometimes we spend too much time trying to win tomorrow. If we can concentrate on what we are doing today and doing it the best we can, tomorrow can happen. If we screw up today we probably will screw up tomorrow. Small victories strung together can add up to something big. Small victories make failure easier to take. Going for the one big win and failing can be devastating. So I say focus on today and Win the Day.

2. Dream Big - How do you ever get there if you don't Dream Big. Set those dreams high and then back it out to a day to day effort. If you win the day and the day is focused on the Dream, Big Dreams can happen.

3. Opportunity Management - I hear people over and over talking about Risk Management. There is no risk in business only opportunity. If you manage risk you'll hit mediocrity every time. If you manage opportunity you can do special things.

4. Leading Life - I find times in my life where life is leading me. I sit around and let things happen. I ask everyone who reads this to kick me in the butt if you feel I'm letting life lead me. If I'm not out there Leading my Life let me know it. You won't offend me.

5. I'm a pro Triathlete - This probably doesn't belong on such an insightful list but it's been a topic for me all year and belongs here. You are not a pro triathlete unless you are making a living off your winnings. If you are not winning you are not racing enough. Many of us would kill to have that talent. Time and time again those who race the most make the most and tend to succeed more often then those who try to cherry pick and make it big without doing the work. Hell that's true to being a professional in any field. You have to give more than you get to get more.

The next 5 later in the week.

It's a good life....
Dave

No comments: