Monday, March 12, 2012

The Long Run

This year I've gone back to an old long run trick. I can't figure out why coaches don't incorporate this into their training. The trick is doing the long run and then adding 30-45 minutes of easy running that evening. Like yesterday. I ran 90 minutes in the rain, hail, wind and mud. It was miserable but I got it done. Then at 6pm Marco and I went out for a relatively easy 30 minutes. The wind was still there but the sun was out and the air was clean and clear. That second run felt like it was the first time I ran all day. It was long enough to be a workout and short enough to wake up the blood flow without damage. It was awesome. I know most triathlon coaches ask that you ride later after your long run. But I argue the second run is better. It turns 90 minutes into 2 hours for the day. It allows me to get a really good long run in without all the damage. Running 2 hours or 2.5 hours straight is damaging. Running 2 hours or 2.5 hours in two runs separated by hours is refreshing. Or as refreshing as it can be.....
Try it you'll like it....

No comments: