Saturday, April 7, 2012

The List

Starting my list of things I want to do before I die. Not that I fear I'm close to death just that I think I/we have got some things to do. Call it a bucket list or a life list or just a list. This is the one on top of my list.

Run in 50 different countries around the world.

I've run in so many different countries I thought 50 would be easy. Not so! I've hit 27 so far. I need to get a move on and hit the other 13. In this goal is to run in every country in the Americas. If I do that I think it gets me to 40.  That includes the Island nations which means Mary is going have to go back to Cuba so that I can run. I think she's up for it.

A short story of how I ran in Slovakia and Hungary in the same run. We had our sales meeting in Bratislava, Slovakia although it wasn't in Bratislava at tall. Roughly 20-30K outside of town in this hotel that was a distance from anything remotely civilized. There was a road out front and it looked like there wouldn't be much of a loop. The first morning I headed west on the road to see where it went. Roughly 20 minutes into the run and came to a sign that said you are now crossing into Hungary. There were the typical border crossing towers left over from a time when the borders were closed. I ran into Hungary for about 20 minutes and then ran back to the hotel.

I think there will be a few other runs like this. I think there is the possibility to do this in Central America and maybe in parts of South America. I know that this summer we're planning on taking two off my list. First and foremost I finally get to run where I was born in Bogota, Colombia. I can't wait for that run.

It's a good life....

No comments: