Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Running Shoe Dirt: Nike Zoot Elite 6 the write up

A little bit on the how and why I am diving into running shoes.


Fit, Feel and Function is what makes up a running shoe. Fit, Feel and Function and how it works for your foot is the ultimate test. The issue (for us shoe makers) is that everyone comes in different sizes and shapes oh and different running styles on different surfaces.

Fit

  1. Nike gets heel fit. Heel Fit is everything in a running shoe. A Fit that grabs your Heel and locks it in place without lacing is good one that doesn't is poor. This one is great. No gimmicks just good standard shoe making. 
  2. The midfoot and Toebox fit my feet fine. Which is the first caution. My feet are narrow and have a low instep. If you have a wide foot or a high instep these shoes will be tight. 
  3. Under the Arch I've always liked Nike. The foot memory just settled into the feel of the footbed. Like my feet came home. 
Feel
  1. Bill Bowerman was a wizard. The Waffle sole he created is still in play and still feels great. Run in a shoe that has no lugs in the forefoot then run in a Nike shoe with the Waffle and you'll feel what I'm talking about. There is a sensation under the foot that is at once spongy and springy and that's the lugs collapsing and coming back. Just feels great at any speed. 
  2. Light - The shoe is light but not overly light. This is also part runner. I have skinny bones so what feels light to me will probably feel ultra light to others. So my guess is this shoe will feel lighter for you than it does for me. I like it the way it is. 
  3. Flexibility - This is where I struggle with the shoe. It has almost no flexibility. Flex is important to my feet because my toes are long. Longer toes need flex (I believe). 45 minutes into every run my forefoot went numb because they were locked in and not flexing. Larger runners with more force will flex through the shoes fine. Slight runners with more flow will not. In me that means numb. 
Function
  1. Exceptionally cushioned for a lightweight trainer. More cushion than I remember in the Zoot Elite and I think that's a good thing. 
  2. Stable - Ever the brand that can, Nike built a stability trainer with no grey post on the medial side to show you. It's quite stable and that's good for those who need it. 
  3. Work Horse - Use it every day, set it out to dry and go again. That's the sign of a good shoe and this is one of those. It's built to last and it's built to work every day. 

Next up......I know where I want to go but I'm going to let my sense do it again. I'll walk into the store and maybe have the sales person fit me for the perfect shoe. 

It's a good life.....

No comments: