Thursday, June 20, 2013

5 Things I will Do Training for Ironman Lake Tahoe

Yesterday I sat down with my brother Bob. I'm more committed now than ever to embark on this Fuck ALS campaign.

These are the 5 things I will do in training to help me be successful in September.


  1. Swim in the Surf - I can't swim at 6,000 feet but I can swim breathless and swimming through surf will do that. So it's once a week in the surf repeatedly for me. 
  2. Run on Tired Legs - Only Tuesday night on the track with my legs be "Fresh". All other runs will be on tired legs. The point being Ironman is about finishing strong on tired legs. 
  3. Stay Strong - For me doing strength work is a must. I'm a small frame and will wither away in the next 12 weeks if I don't keep working on strength. 
  4. Block Cycling - I don't have all day or all week to ride all the time. I will continue with my 4 days a week 5-6 total hours on the bike but 3 times I will block big days back to back to maximize my cycling. 
  5. Max Rest - I'm 49 and this is my 9th Ironman. I know what's in store over the next 12 weeks. Max rest will help me get through it. 

No comments: