Friday, July 5, 2013

Sleep is not Over-Rated

Yesterday I raced the Old Pro 10K. When I'm in town on the 4th of July this is a normal start to the day. I woke up at my normal time, had my normal wake up routine and was back in bed dead to the world. I shot out of bed at 5:40am and said I will feel better if I ran the race. So I did. Warming up with a friend we got to talking about his recent work trip to Boulder, CO. Then we got on to the day at hand. I asked him what he was doing for the 4th. He said, "I'm just trying to have a normal day to see if I can recover from that trip". Here I was just one week after traveling 1/2 way around the world, not one bit in normal time and warming up to race. I ran the race, got home and went to sleep. Last night I played in mellow since my family is in a different country this week and I slept. 9 hours I did. What did this tell me:


  1. There is no easy way to recover from a long trip. The only answer is sleep. 
  2. You have to be ready to do it, you can't force yourself to sleep, it does not work. 
  3. Once it hits you, let it (the sleep) happen. 
I have noticed that I've been a complete crab this week. Short on patience and just plain moody. A complete lack of sleep for 2+ weeks with the attempt to jump into a normal routine is a disaster waiting to happen. Yesterday it hit me and sleep I did. One more day of that and maybe I'll be back to a "normal" feeling of life. 


No comments: