Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Becoming a Man

While I'm on leave from working I've decided to take on my life as a man. I've been dabbling in this for most of my life and doing some heavy lifting in becoming a better man made sense at this time. As you can see I've learned to break my life into 4 parts and to really work on what I want in these 4 areas of my life. This practice comes courtesy of The New Man Podcast.

The Body - This one is fairly easy but also difficult to execute correctly with age.
  1. I want to continue to be strong 
  2. I want to be supple
  3. I want to stay lean
  4. I value clean eating
The Mind - My Relationship with Myself - We all have a voice in our head. There is no way not to have one. There are two ways to go about the voice in our head, change the voice or quiet the voice. Most of what I've studied through the years is change the voice through positive self talk and clear purpose. I worked a lot this year on the other tool, quieting the voice. I've found quieting the voice to be a much better tool. To quiet I've been practicing meditation daily. It's an amazingly good tool to quiet the voice. The end result is that I like myself more and more and I'm a great deal calmer all around. There is great work to be done in this but I'm confident I'm on the right path. I'm really interested in actually studying in meditation.

Relationship with Others
Through a quiet mind I believe my relationship with others will blossom. I understand that I can be a tough guy to get through and that's not what I want to be. I want to be the guy you can trust, the guy you can lean on, and the guy you want to have around the table. I know for sure at least for me, I have to be right with my own mind for this to work out.

Work in the World
This has been the most fun work over the last 4 weeks. I have options to stay put in San Diego, avoiding flights and heavy travel. I have options to completely set my own schedule and I have options to keep the schedule I was on only with a different brand. I'm in no hurry right now and my decision will be based on what really matters to me. The three above are really important so whatever I do for work will have to fit into the three above. This I know.

It's a good life....

No comments: