Friday, February 20, 2015

Five For Friday: Year 50

I have probably used this picture too many tines. This is Annecy, France. It's spectacular! I would go back just to sit in this setting again.

When I looked up to 50 year olds I had this vision, of calm, confident, experienced men. Maybe I looked at my father too much. He was an ass in his 30s and 40s but became my father in his 50s. He had those qualities even when things weren't going right.

This is year #1 of my 50s. Five things I've learned so far.

  1. Plan your family around it. Screwy as this sounds my wife and I waited 5 years before we started thinking about kids. At the age of 51 our son will be out of the house. I love him and will miss him but I look forward to that day for him. I will also welcome calm.
  2. It's never to late to start a business. The darn thing seems to be taking forever but I hear that's normal. 
  3. You can become fit at 50. Ok I get it I haven 't been unfit but that's not true. For 8 years I focused on business and traveled over 100,000 miles a year. In my mind I was fit but I was not. I am now. Nothing hurts and I ran 2 hours on Wednesday and it felt like 30 minutes. I did not run 2 hours feeling that good in the last 8 years. 
  4. Don't think that my fitness is because of running. I am feeling this way because I made a strong commitment to getting strong. Look up Turkish Get Up. The better I can do that the better my running has become. Right now my max is three rounds (right and left side) with 30lbs. 
  5. Listen to your dog. For a long time I worried where our dog was when we were out together constantly calling her. This winter I let go. On our walks I look for her twice and she's always there. She is smart enough to feel the calm. The more I call her and worry the more she stays away. The more calm I am the more she wants to stay closer. She reminds me daily that there is nothing more important than right now. 
It's a good life....

No comments: