Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Knowing What You Want

On Monday two big things happened. The first and most important is the little boy in the pictures got sworn in to protect the Flag and Country. One year from today he'll ship out to boot camp of the United States Marine Corps. I often get asked how I feel about it. "Are you shocked by his decision" they ask. "How long has this been on his mind?"


  1. Since he was 5 years old he has wanted to be a Marine. 
  2. We didn't lead him there nor did we ever dissuade him from it. 
  3. He's 17 and he has made a decision. Can your remember when you were 17 or do you know a 17 year old? He made a decision and knows exactly what he wants to do. If all goes to plan in 20 years  he will retire from the Marines. How many 17 year old boys or girls know that right now? 
  4. There is no shock in our house. We knew this day was coming. The change in our son from the day he made the decision to today is overwhelming. He lives with absolute purpose today. 

Second on the big things is personal. I'm parasite free. I did a test to confirm it and the test came back negative on all counts. There is nothing bad in my gut right now. I've known for 7 years that things weren't right. For 7 years I fought through it pig headed and all. As I look back if I were living with purpose maybe it wouldn't have taken 7 years. 

When the father learns from the son. He's been teaching me a lot longer than I let anyone believe. At every stage of his life. 

It's a good life.....

No comments: